Tweezers for Precious Bridges

What kind of tweezers do you use when handling the bridges of watches that cost $500,000 and more? If you are Stephen Forsey you use Dumont Tweezers with Boxwood Tips. I recently sat down with Mr. Forsey at the AWCI Convention. One of the questions I asked him was about his favorite pair of tweezers. He said some of his favorites are boxwood tweezers. I had never heard of such a thing, but now I have them. If they are good enough for Stephen Forsey, they are good enough for me!

Dumont Tweezers with Aluminum Handles and Boxwood tips, available from Jules Borel.

I don’t handle too many watches like those Stephen Forsey makes (or any at all) but there are still times when I want to be sure I don’t scratch something but I still need a really good grip. The boxwood tips provide both of that. Excellent for hands. They are even better than Delrin tips.

1. Christopher Milton
    Posted September 7, 2012 at 2:32 pm | Permalink

I am a student currently enrolled at OSUIT. I will be starting the watchmaking courses next semester and I have to say, I truly enjoy reading this blog. The information is fantastic and it really is one of the best ways I have found to learn about the profession that is not from a book.

Please keep up the fantastic work.

2. Posted September 7, 2012 at 7:57 pm | Permalink

Awesome. Thanks for asking (and sharing!), Jordan.

3. Dave A
    Posted September 11, 2012 at 12:52 pm | Permalink

These look really interesting- potentially less slippery than delrin and less marring than brass.

I’ve just been through the Jules Borel Horological and Tools catalogs, and I don’t see them- do you have an item number (or, I suppose catalog page number) where they can be found?

thanks!

Posted September 11, 2012 at 1:45 pm | Permalink

They are fantastic. It is a brand new item from Jules Borel. They had to order mine from Switzerland but I told them they might want to buy some extras since I would be advertising their benefits. I don’t know what the Borel number for them is but they are Dumont 159/BUIS/I-H . If you talk to Brad in tools he’ll know what they are.

5. Dave A
    Posted September 12, 2012 at 2:10 pm | Permalink

Great, thanks for the additional info!

6. david
    Posted September 13, 2012 at 6:38 am | Permalink

7. Posted September 26, 2012 at 11:45 am | Permalink

I’ve used the delron but these look lighter. I’ll givem a try. Thanks J.

Posted September 26, 2012 at 4:31 pm | Permalink

I find myself using them more and more each day. They are fantastic!