Tuesday Tools – What is it?

It has been a while since we’ve done Tuesday Tools but since I now have a garage full of new tools we’ll kick things off a day late with a “What is it?” Segment. Take a good look at the picture below. (Click on it for more detail) What is it? And how would one use it?
What is it?

1. Coltrey
    Posted January 11, 2012 at 9:22 am | Permalink

They remind me of the insides of mechanical pencils – the part that distributes the lead/graphite sticks.

I’m a lousy watchman, but I’d guess it’s for holding, measuring or placing something like an axle or a winding stem…the cylindrical bits.

2. Posted January 11, 2012 at 9:45 am | Permalink

This collet for watchmakerlathe.

3. Peter
    Posted January 11, 2012 at 9:59 am | Permalink

Ummm, the file name might just be a hint there…

4. Trevor Darling
    Posted January 11, 2012 at 10:09 am | Permalink

lol @ file name giving away function…

Posted January 11, 2012 at 10:14 am | Permalink

What’s in a name? So the file name tells us what it is called, but what/how does one use it?

6. Jordan Ferry
    Posted January 11, 2012 at 10:23 am | Permalink

These are jewel chicks. Used for cutting damaged jewels out of a chaton.

7. Jordan Ferry
    Posted January 11, 2012 at 10:25 am | Permalink

*Typo, jewel CHUCKS not jewel chicks. Darn auto correct…

8. Sharukh
    Posted January 11, 2012 at 10:39 am | Permalink

They’re jewel chucks. Used in a collet usually #50 if I’m not mistaken. A good write up can be found in Fried’s Bench Practices.

9. Patricio Libenson
    Posted January 15, 2012 at 1:21 am | Permalink

The picture shows a set of colettes for watchmaker’s repairs.

Hello everyone. Can somebody tell me where can I go to learn about watch making and repairing?

Your help will be greatly appreciated.

Patricio

10. Posted March 15, 2012 at 4:09 am | Permalink

Good Day!

Actually they are called jewelling sub-chucks. They are used in the process of preparing jewel settings. You can see a full description on how they are used at:

Cheers

Dushan

Posted March 15, 2012 at 8:16 am | Permalink

Dushan, that’s a great article about jeweling. I don’t know a whole lot about burnished in jewels and I learned a thing or two. I would love to learn even more about the process.

12. jeffjs
    Posted January 29, 2013 at 8:26 pm | Permalink

Collets for a watchmakers lathe. They are used to polish screws on watches.