Stephen Forsey on Tourbillons

by J.Edwards

Greubel-Forsey Quadruple TourbillonThose of our readers who are well versed in the technical extremes of watchmaking, have likely already noticed that the new masthead we added to the blog a few months ago shows off the tourbillon assembly of a pocket watch (and I bet that those of you who are really astute can even tell me what brand of watch it’s from based on the style of balance wheel).

One of the world’s foremost authorities on tourbillons, the venerable watchmaker, Stephen Forsey, was interviewed this past week, on the subject of tourbillons, on Swiss radio station, WRS. Stephen Forsey is the forbearer of the Forsey in Greubel-Forsey, a firm that has made a name for itself in the small but highly competitive world of precision tourbillons. In a day and age when any brand with access to a CNC machine thinks they can play “me-too” and pump out a tourbillon for its glitz and glam, it is refreshing to hear someone who has worked with this complication with its primary purpose in mind and refined it to the nth degree.

You can check out the full radio interview here.

For more information, and beautiful imagery, of Stephen Forsey and Robert Greubel’s work, I highly recommend Michael Clerizo’s Masters of Contemporary Watchmaking and Guido Mocafico’s Movement, which we have written about previously here on the blog.

1. movery
    Posted February 28, 2010 at 9:44 pm | Permalink

I’ll bite.

The balance is from a Patek Philipe?

2. Posted March 1, 2010 at 8:30 pm | Permalink

Adjustable mass balance wheel looks like a Patek Philipe.

Posted March 1, 2010 at 8:39 pm | Permalink

I vote with movery and Nick, it has a very similar appearance to PP Gyromax balance. Funny, how I don’t know since this is my blog? J. Edwards designed the header. He’ll chime in and clear up the matter for us soon, I’m sure.

4. Posted March 1, 2010 at 9:43 pm | Permalink

You are all spot on. It is from a Patek Philippe pocket watch.

Patek is among the few watch brands that delivers on the true potential that the tourbillon has to offer mechanical timekeeping. While many brands could care less if their tourbillons are accurate to within 30 seconds a day, Patek is adament about surpassing the standards for COSC timing and their tourbillons are typically accurate to within +/-2 seconds/day.

5. Posted March 27, 2010 at 6:28 pm | Permalink

The Master Grande Tradition Tourbillon by JLC is another exemple no?

6. Posted March 29, 2010 at 7:11 pm | Permalink

I don’t have any personal experience with JLC’s Master Grande Tradition Tourbillon, akorti. If the Grande Tradition Tourbillons that are coming out of the manufacture are accurate to within the +/-2 seconds/day spec, then I would certainly say yes.