What every T-Touch owner should know

by J.Edwards

An Unsynchronized T-Touch WatchI have been asked on a number of different occasions by several T-Touch owners to fix their watch for them. Oddly enough, on many of these occasions I have found that the clients’ watches weren’t in any particular need of a watchmaker’s careful attention at all. They had just gotten a little disoriented – literally. The number one such complaint is that the compass feature no longer points in a straight line. Second to the compass being out of alignment, is that the digital and analog time no longer match up. Luckily, both are symptoms of the same problem and, fortunately for the customer, the problem is one that is easily remedied. So easy, in fact, that the client could do it themselves.

What causes the problem?

The most common reason that the hands on Tissot’s T-Touch can become de-synchronized from the rest of the functions of the watch is because the watch has been exposed to a magnetic field (for more on magnetism and watches, check out J.Peter’s post here). Unlike most quartz watches, the hands of the T-Touch are driven by two independent, bi-directional, motors, which each consist of a mobile permanent-magnet and two small electromagnets to control the direction of motion of the permanent-magnet. Without getting into too much detail about the physics at work, when these tiny motors are exposed to an external magnetic field they move. This, in turn, causes the hands to move. The microprocessor that controls the positioning of the hands, however, isn’t able to register when this involuntary change happens and still considers the hands to be in the same relative position that they were originally programmed to be in. So, when the microprocessor tells the hands to point North, or to show the correct time, or any other function, where it believes the hands to be pointing is no longer correct.

How to fix the problem yourself

To re-calibrate the hands:

1. Press the center pusher and then tap the center of the touch sensitive glass until the digital display reads either 24h/cm or 12h/ft (or any combination between the two).
  2. Next, press and hold the center pusher in until the the digital display reads SYNCHRO.
  3. When the display reads SYNCHRO, the watch is now ready to receive new information about where the hands are pointed. The next step, then, is to align both of the hands at precisely 12 o’clock, which is where the microprocessor expects them to be pointed when in SYNCHRO mode.
  4. To advance the minute hand, press the pusher that is located at 2 o’clock.
  5. To advance the hour hand, use the 4 o’clock pusher.
  6. If you accidentally pass the 12 o’clock marker for either hand, you will have to move the hand completely around the dial again until you get it right.
  7. Once both hands are aligned at 12 o’clock, press the center pusher to register the new settings.

That’s it! Your T-Touch should now be properly synchronized.

Video demonstration and more information

For a video demonstration and even more information on syncing (or de-syncing) your T-Touch, check out the T-Touch synchronization page at AllianceHorlogère.com.

Be Sociable, Share!

1. Dan C.
    Posted February 19, 2013 at 12:09 pm | Permalink

Hi there.
    I have a simillar problem to the one dickie posted on august 18th, with my Racing Touch.
    More exactly hands were out of sync, but compass was working even though the hands formed a sharp V instead of 1 straight line. I’ve done the sync, hands are in correct position synced with the digital display, but the compass touch button is completly unresponsive immediately after the sync procedure. The digital display goes blank with just the T symbol and pulls half of a beep, no movement whatsoever of the hands and touching it again doesn’t do anything, can’t get into Calibration mode. Everything else is in order.
    I imagine it is something in the software. Any thoughts on this issue would be greatly appreciated.

2. Posted February 22, 2013 at 9:31 pm | Permalink

Hi Dan,

The sync procedure for the Racing Touch is slightly different than described in the post. I may post about it in the future. This could be the reason you’re running into difficulty, it’s not entirely clear what the issue might be given the information you’ve provided. You can try putting the watch to sleep and waking it again. That may remedy things for you.

It’s also important to note that touching the crystal while activating its touch sensitivity can cancel out areas your skin was in contact with as the baseline capacitance reading in those areas would be elevated.

3. Posted September 7, 2013 at 12:01 am | Permalink

My Button fell off.
    T-touch classic titanium from 2006.

I love this watch, but my + button fell off,somehow, making it extremely difficult to st the time without a safety pin.
    Is there a way of replacing the button without incurring great costs? Looks like the pin that passes through the case was snapped off, leaving just a small stub.
    I can live without that button, but not if the watch is no longer waterproof (too risky).
    thanks -B

4. Jordan Ficklin
    Posted September 7, 2013 at 3:42 pm | Permalink

A competent watchmaker should be able to replace your button and conduct a water resistance test for less than the price of a new T-Touch. The watch definitely is not water resistant with the button missing.

5. Simon Fisher
    Posted September 21, 2013 at 1:20 pm | Permalink

My minus button on my T touch expert just fell off. If I’d hit hard and it s napped off then I’d feel less annoyed than I do right now – but I didn’t, it just fell off and is lost. In my opinion, buttons on a £685 watch shouldn’t just fall off. And it’s just over its 24 month warranty too.

6. LBeaton
    Posted February 9, 2016 at 3:33 am | Permalink

Thanks for this write-up – saved me a trip to the local watch doctor. Most appreciated!

7. C
    Posted June 22, 2016 at 2:21 am | Permalink

Thanks from Australia.
    Got my battery changed today, and needed to find how to resynchronise the hands and digital display. Now if only the temperature was stable enough so I could recalibrate the altimeter too. 🙂

8. Ole
    Posted August 11, 2016 at 1:25 pm | Permalink

My Touch-II keeps “saying” batt even tough the battery is new and the battery-capacity have been checked by the watchmaker. Everytime I activate the T-button it says batt.

9. David
    Posted August 21, 2016 at 9:23 pm | Permalink

Hi There, I’ve just replaced the battery on my T-touch classic titanium and in Cal mode I have error code 2 and the compass does northing other than beep when I touch the screen but only once. can you suggest a solution pls.

10. John
    Posted August 30, 2016 at 11:24 pm | Permalink

Tissot T Touch Z253/353 Unimpressed. Now the main button has just dropped off and is lost. I’m back to wearing my 34 year old SEIKO digital. ; (

11. james
    Posted September 15, 2016 at 11:15 am | Permalink

Thank you – perfect instructions and helped me fix my T-touch!

12. Bob C Blevins
    Posted June 27, 2017 at 3:18 pm | Permalink

I just followed instructions to sync my TISSOT T Touch battery watch and the display is still incorrect. The Thermo says 199.8 F. My altimeter FT only. Meteo hPA. Chromosome seems okay. Compass 43′ E and will not change by rotating phone. My watch is going on 10 years and I’ve had the function buttons and band replaced once. What else can I do. I love this watch.

13. Jude D'souza
    Posted July 13, 2017 at 11:05 am | Permalink

Hi, recalibrated on several occassions. Watch is just 2 months old. It’s a titanium t-touch 2. The issue is with the alarm button, it just doesn’t work. It’s a dead tap! Tried waking up it up as well but to no avail! Help would be very much appreciated here. Thanks

14. jeff
    Posted July 20, 2017 at 5:04 pm | Permalink

my t touch display will not show the date I think something is wrong with the touch function. Please help