Simple Tools

Tags: ,

By request I give you some of the simple tools I have fashioned myself. I’m kind of a spoiled watchmaker because I had to buy lots of really nice tools when I started school. Because of that I haven’t had to improvise a lot of tools but here are some of what I have:

tools

1. Toothpick – great for cleaning the body cheese away from a case back before opening it.
  2. A modified razor blade. I took this simple straight blade and tapped it against a file creating a serrated edge. It’s a super thin and sturdy saw blade.
  3. Additional tips for my truing caliper.
  4. The tip of this clear plexi-stick has a screwdriver profile and a slot just the right size for adjusting the stud on an Etachron regulator system.
  5. A simple scribe made from carbon steel hardened and tempered to tool hardness.
  6. My barrel closer – used daily.
  7. Carrier for Jacot Tool or turning between centers.
  8. A special die for the crystal press with a cut out for the cyclops lens. I use it to push Sapphire crystals out of the bezel.
  9. Assorted stumps and pushers for the Horia jeweling tool the most useful one is the cannon pinion tightening stump.
  10. img_1596

11. A brass tray for warming pallets to adjust stones or for bluing screws.
  12. Pivot Gauges – school project, but very useful for determining the size of the hole in a jewel.

1. Posted February 17, 2009 at 11:35 pm | Permalink

Thank you so much for filling my request. It’s great to see what is on other people’s benches. Clever trick you did with the razor blade.

Can I ask what a few uses are for the plexi-stick? Something tells me I’m missing out.

I clearly need to get my hands on one of those barrel closers.

thanks again!

Posted February 17, 2009 at 11:39 pm | Permalink

In general the plexi stick is good for holding down bridges while positioning wheels in the jewels. The plexi-stick doesn’t scratch the bridges. It is also good for holding a spring in place while removing an object adjacent to it or why putting the spring in place. The specific stick has a groove cut in the screwdriver end which fits over the Eta-Chron stud holder and can be used to rotate this for adjusting the hairspring to center it between the regulating pins.

3. Posted February 18, 2009 at 11:19 am | Permalink

JP Hi,
    Congratulations on your recent milestone! Prime Time Canada (me) has fabricated two fabulous barrel cover closers, and is offering a set to any one of your valuable contributors. The set is available to buy from our virtual reality store- but I thought that since we have an affinity to contributions for the watchmaking profession, why not let a gifted watchmaker get his hands on a set of them? I will let you decide how you wish to give them away, maybe run an article how they were vicualized and conceived. I will post them to you today alongwith the article, Cheers!
    Prem

4. Posted February 18, 2009 at 5:10 pm | Permalink

DRAT!
    Based on the blog entry I immediately went out and placed an order for a barrel closer and a plastic stick from Casker :-(

I can’t believe I paid $2.50 for a stick. Then again, I’m sure I’ll quickly begin to think “How did I ever live without this?”. I use pegwood for holding down bridges, etc, but I find it leaves a tiny bit of debris around that I don’t want to get into the hairspring.

Thanks for the article and the tips!

Maybe you can sometime take a photograph of your entire bench so we can see all of your tools and how they are laid out. <aybe you could get a follow-up thread going where other people post their’s as well? I’m always looking for ways I can learn from others.

-mike

5. galalee
    Posted May 8, 2009 at 6:29 am | Permalink

Hi Peter,
    may I ask how to measure the current consumption of the quartz movement as I saw from the articlehttp://watch.abang.com/od/baoyangweixiu/a/90420-b-193.htm

Posted May 8, 2009 at 7:42 am | Permalink

Galalee, in order to measure the consumption of a quartz watch you need a tool designed to do exactly that. The most common (and expensive tool) is the QTest 6000 (or its replacement) available from Witschi for about $6000. Whatever the tool it needs to supply the power to the watch and measure the consumption in amps. You remove the battery and supply power from the measuring device. Another tool which can accomplish this is the Bulova Acccutron test meter, which you could probably find on eBay for considerably less than the Witschi, but it isn’t as easy to use.

7. C Carrier
    Posted August 3, 2011 at 5:03 pm | Permalink

Instead of using pegwood or tooth pick or other items that may leave debris behind, I use a smart phone Stylus, hard plastic that can be shaped or sharpened into almost anything or any shape you want.