Synchronize Watches Day

I hereby proclaim today “Synchronize Watches Day.” It will be celebrated every October 10th from here on out. Why October 10th you ask? Have you ever noticed what time it is in nearly all watch ads? It’s 10:10. It makes for a symmetrical photo and gives the illusion that the watch is smiling. A few brands reject this principle however. Lange & Sohne notoriously photographs their watches at 1:51. In honor of their backward convention Sychnronize Watches Day shall be celebrated by synchronizing your watch with a standard source on 10/10 at 13:51. You might also enjoy watching a movie where they “synchronize watches.” Leave a comment with your favorite watch synchronizing movie below.

For a standardized time source try the following:

If you know of other internet sources for standard time, perhaps the one in your country. Let me know.

Check out the time in these vintage ads from the Timezone archives.

Be Sociable, Share!

1. Brendan Leber
    Posted October 10, 2008 at 3:43 pm | Permalink

I like this idea!

2. Posted October 10, 2008 at 7:38 pm | Permalink

I think this is a really neat idea! I’m going to share this idea over on Perpetuelle.com (with full credit to you and your great blog, of course!)

Posted October 10, 2008 at 9:56 pm | Permalink

Thanks for the support Brendan & Kyle. I was just rolling out the idea this year. I still am looking for ideas to make this holiday fun and exciting. If you have any ideas let me know. Maybe you know of some movies that use the line “synchronize watches” that people could watch in celebration of 10.10 day. Next year I’ll announce it early all over the Internet and you can help popularize it.

4. Posted October 11, 2008 at 5:41 am | Permalink

Fun. I vaguely remember a bit of watch syncing for the vault bust in Ocean’s 11, but I don’t recall quite how blatant it was…

5. Justin
    Posted October 11, 2008 at 7:43 am | Permalink

Great idea!

6. Bill
    Posted October 18, 2008 at 10:33 pm | Permalink

Not a bad idea. By the way, a GPS unit is probably the best standard time source. The entire GPS system relies on extremely accurate time synchronization. This accuracy is passed on to any GPS unit once it has locked onto multiple satellites. Happy syncing!

Posted October 19, 2008 at 3:21 pm | Permalink

Bill, since I don’t have a GPS unit, or even a GPS enabled cell phone, I overlook this source for time sychronization. A radio controlled quartz clock is also a good source, and the one I usually use in the morning when setting my watch. Your point is a good one, GPS units rely on time variations of microseconds to locate position, much in the same way as John Harrison did when determining position long ago, only way more accurate and three-dimensional. Thanks for the support. I’m going to launch a page dedicated to this holiday soon and all of these ideas will be a wonderful addition.