Skip navigation

What is it?

by Jordan Ficklin

Tags: ,

whatisitWhat is it? We have here a tool from my workshop. On one side it has a large disc with small cutting tools on it. There is a pin to position the cutters. There is a handle to rotate the cutter. Only one cutter rotates at a time. On the back side there is a flat piece of metal with a hole in it which can be drawn in close to the cutter but has a spring which constantly pulls it away.




Be Sociable, Share!


  1. Michael O
    Posted July 15, 2008 at 10:40 pm | Permalink

    I’ll take a guess. It’s some kind of gear cutter/re-shaper.

  2. oliver
    Posted July 16, 2008 at 9:32 pm | Permalink

    Looks like it’s used for cutting screw bodies…

  3. Posted July 17, 2008 at 3:03 am | Permalink

    That’s a neat little find J. Peter. Michael O was partway there. This tool is used to create or reshape new “nipples” on the ends of a bow for setting into the pendant of a pocket watch. Hope that it proves helpful to you someday.

  4. J.Peter
    Posted July 17, 2008 at 7:11 am | Permalink

    Hey Jon, Thanks for the comment. My first thought was that it would be for undercutting screws somehow, but they would have to be really long screws and there would need to be a nut to fit on the outside of the plunger. Your explanation makes great sense. I’ll have to try it out for that.


One Trackback/Pingback

  1. […] Skip navigation BlogAboutTuesday ToolsReviewsArchivesSuggestions?DonateThank youThank YouOther Me « What is it? […]

Post a Comment

Your email is never published nor shared. Required fields are marked *